Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Friday, August 24…. Check in @8am. Check out @7:45pm

Just when I thought everything was going really well with the pregnancy. I was admitted to the Labor & Delivery ER Friday morning because of severe heartburn, which turned out to be contractions.

Early in the morning at around 3am I woke up with heartburn so I took the recommend dose pain reliever, TUMS. I moved to the sofa to sleep in an upright position, but it didn’t help. I watched some early morning news and then decided to get up to get ready for work. Before I got into the shower I take more TUMS. I took a hot shower and started to get dressed, which was very painful. As I was leaving out the door I was thinking to myself that hopefully this pain will get better. As I start to drive off to only reach to the end of my street I stopped to realize I can not drive myself into work. I made a u-turn and came back home. By this time I was in so much pain I started to cry. I franticly woke up Chad to tell him what was going on. He immediately got out of bed to get dressed and told me to call the doctor. I called the emergency hotline since my doctor’s office doesn’t open until 9am. The hotline took all of my information and told me they will page my doctor and call me back within ten minutes. They did. They told me to come into the hospital right away.

As were heading to the hospital I could only think of the worse because I didn’t feel my baby move as much as he normally does, but he did surprise me and moved a little bit. And it could have been that I was in so much pain I couldn’t feel him move. As we checked into the hospital they already had a room ready for me. The admitting nurse told me to get in my gown and wait for the RN nurse. She came in and hooked me up to monitors that were attached to my belly. She then checked on all of my vital signs… my temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, etc… An hour goes by…. She gave me some Mylanta and that is when she told me I was having contractions. I said, “CONTRACTIONS?!?” Of course I started to cry. I am only 28 weeks/4days I’ve got 2 months to go; it is too early for him to be born!! The nurse assured me that everything is going to be fine because I was not having many contractions timed to close together. They decided to give a shot every 15 minutes of Terbutaline to stop the contractions. I only needed two shots. Thank goodness! I believe my last contraction was at noon. The nurse then took a cervix swap test to determine if I would go into labor within a week. As well as blood work to check if I have any infections and this could also help to determine why I was having contractions. All of my tests came back NEGATIVE. The nurse then gave me a Pepcid AC to relive the heartburn. The next test was to do an ultrasound to measure the baby and make sure he is doing well. I was happy to hear of the ultrasound so I could see him on the monitor. Well, he now has chubby checks and is growing so big. The Tech told me he weighs 2.5 lbs and is growing at a normal rate, but that my belly seems a bit small for him right now. Poor baby!

We finally got to see my doctor at around 7pm. She told us that unfortunately she could not determine if the heartburn caused the contractions or the contractions caused the heartburn, since I was having the contractions when I was admitted into the hospital. She told me I can start taking Pepcid every morning and night. I will not need to be on bed rest since all of my tests came back negative. Yay!! However, I do need to take it easy and call if I experience any unbearable pain. I WILL. And then she released me. Chad and I were so ready to go home to such a long day. Right before we left we went to visit the nursery and see some newborns. They were so adorable. I can’t wait until we have our little Dude and I can hold him in my arms for the first time.

No comments: